The effect of not having good quality air in the home is dramatic and the importance of good ventilation is not understood.

The average person spends 90% of their time indoors and 70% of this time is spent in their own home. The indoor living environment is therefore crucial to the health of the occupants.. The indoor living environment is therefore crucial to the health of the occupants.

Good Ventilation ensures that you:

  • Avoid costly re-decoration costs by providing an environment in which condensation dampness cannot exist.
  • Keep a healthy home with improved indoor air quality, removing external pollutants such as traffic fumes and radon gas.
  • Create a low allergen home by reducing dust mites and pollens, helping to ease the symptoms of asthmas and other respiratory problems.

Effects of Poor Ventilation

At one time, it was possible to achieve natural ventilation in our homes by simply opening a window.

However, with growing concerns about rising energy costs, we have been busy making homes “tighter” from an efficiency standpoint. Armed with weather stripping and caulk guns, we have eliminated air leaks from our homes.

Unfortunately, that means contaminants have no way to escape.

Pollutants in your home’s air can cause poor indoor air quality, which in turn may cause dizziness and headaches, plus aggravate allergies and asthma.

That’s why Home Ventilation Solutions offers ventilation systems that help remove contaminants by exchanging stale, recirculated indoor air with fresh, filtered outside air.

The principle cause of condensation is an excessive humidity level.

This is evidenced by water running down windows (especially first thing in the morning), water running down tiling, pools of water on windows cills and a general cold, clammy feeling in the property.

Our free initial survey will include measuring humidity levels throughout the property, in order to establish just how serious the problem is and help to identify the causes.

Black Mould or Toxic Mould, as it known in America, is a health hazard and can create respiratory problems and allergic reactions.

It variously appears in a pink, green, grey or more predominantly black shade on any surface where moisture is available for it to form. The mould will typically appear on the inside of external walls, around windows, behind furniture, on ceilings and on clothes in wardrobes and drawers.

Once formed it is extremely difficult to remove – bleach can be effective but requires frequent, regular applications which can damage the host material. Special fungicidal washes are more expensive but no more effective.

Unless the humidity level is permanently reduced, the mould will keep reappearing.

By fostering the growth of mold, mildew, dust mites and other common irritants, humid air can aggravate many breathing difficulties, including asthma and allergies. Exposure to dry air can also be an asthma trigger in some individuals.

Many homeowners may be completely unaware that their area is affected by Radon gas. In fact, most homeowners have never even heard of it!

A naturally occurring radioactive gas, exposure to Radon gas has been linked to the risk of lung cancer (NRBP), so it’s really not a bad idea to reduce radon gas levels in the home if you live in an affected area.

Opening windows in a bid to reduce Radon levels won’t significantly reduce or control Radon penetration in the home. In order to successfully protect your household and the occupants, you need to provide your home with good ventilation.

The Government has been advised that the action level for Radon in homes should be 200 bq/m3 (Becquerel’s per cubic metre) by the National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB).

Homes with levels of Radon at or above this action level are advised to get them reduced to as low as practically possible.